Simon Maidment is a media-based artist with a practice that often involves collaboration, curation, and writing.
He founded Satellite Art Projects in 2008, having in 2006 received Australia Council funding to research commissioning models, meeting with a range of organisations across the United Kingdom.
He has unique experience in developing and managing large contemporary arts events across multiple venues and public spaces, recently as Visual Arts Coordinator of Melbourne International Arts Festival (2008, 2009 & 2010), and Project Manager of Rapt! 20 Contemporary Artists from Japan, and Making Space: artist run initiatives in Victoria.
He was Director of West Space from 2005 to 2008, overseeing substantial organisational growth and development, while presenting a local program and a suite of six international projects.
In 2009 he was invited by the Australia Council to attend the Venice Biennale as their guest, and to run a series of tours for supporters of the Australian component.
Simon is currently a serving as a member of the International funding panel for Arts Victoria, and is a PhD candidate at the Centre for Ideas, Faculty of the Victorian College of the Arts, University of Melbourne with a research focus of curating artistic practices that can be thought of as ‘context responsive’.
Satellite Art Projects is supported by an active Board who are widely recognised for their significant contributions to the contemporary art, performance, architecture and design fields in Australia and Internationally.
- Max Delany – Director of Monash University Museum of Art.
- Kristy Edmunds – Consulting Artistic Director to the Park Avenue Armory.
- Wendy Foard – Deputy Chair, Melbourne Art Fair Foundation.
- Natalie King – Independent Curator, Writer and Broadcaster, Director of Utopia.
- Simon Knott – Director of BKK Architects, Broadcaster.
- Vikki McInnes – Director of Victorian College of the Arts Margaret Lawrence Gallery & Sarah Scout.
- Simon Maidment – Director of Satellite.